Thursday, January 22, 2009

Work Rant

I have been stewing about this increasingly over the last few weeks. I have been working at the bank off and on since 2005 yet I haven't gotten a satisfactory raise since January 2007. This wouldn't be horrible except for the fact that I have been trained for a higher level of work (opening bank accounts/ investments). I have been actively working in this role since August 2007 however I still get payed as a teller.

At first I didn't let it bother me because I am a casual worker. Of course it still is not fair, even as casual I should be paid for the position that I am doing. I then approached my boss regarding a raise and he said sure. This happened in August 2007 as well as November 2008. Have I seen it? No. I have asked him a couple of times since then. He has given me his word on two things which he has not followed through on. 1) a fair raise to be getting the wage for my work role
2) To put me in the 'system' as permanent part time.
I approached him about this and he assured me that "stokes are in the fire, it will happen in the new year". Last weekend I mentioned it to him again and he said "the stokes are in the fire".

I think this is horribly unfair. I feel like I am being taken advantage of. I mean, if I was a shitty employee and doing a shady job, sure, but he has told me numerous times that all of my coworkers have gone to him saying what a great job I am doing. They also say that I am "so helpful with both coworkers and clients".

If I am doing such a great job, why am I being treated like this?

To top it off, I am casual without the benefits of being casual. At my place of work a casual person is not committed to come in on any specific days of the week and is able to pick and choose the days he or she wants to work. Not in my case. I am told that I am being "depended" on for Saturdays. I asked to have February 7th off (which I should just be able to tell them rather than ask) and he has the nerve to say " If so and so is not working otherwise we will need you".

Ha!

Not that he deserves a reason, but I explained that it is Danial's last day on PEI.
I am considering on blatantly reminding him of my casual status.

I don't know. Part of me wants to stick my feet in the ground and tell him enough is enough. The other part wants to continue the decent working relationship that we have had over the years. I don't want this job to be something that I cannot have on my resume.

No comments: